Monday, April 20, 2020

Isolation Day 36+/-

Nothing exciting to report on the home front.  Everything is fine here just biding our time.  Since we are both retired, there is no real change in our routines other than not being able to just pick up and go wherever whenever.  It's just the thought that we are under restrictions that tends to grate.  

I have this app on my phone called nextdoor.  I keep in touch with what is going on around us that way and can find things like repair men etc.  That's how I found the car repair guy I used last year.  It does have some draw backs that are irritating.  

Since it's social media it isn't immune to idiots and just plain stupid posts.  The most common posts are folks looking for lost dogs or seeing lost dogs out roaming.  I don't mind those at all and try to keep an eye out if I'm out.  I know how stressed I would be if my dog (if I had one now) would turn up missing.  It seems most of the really dumb posts are folks that have moved our here from in town and aren't used to the possibility of wild animals.  They tend to freak out, especially over harmless snakes.  You would think a common Garter Snake is a man eater.  It's the comments on those posts that can be hilarious to just plain stupid.  Then there are posts like this: 'Did anyone here that?'  No explanation no location (there will be several neighborhoods near you that can be included so who knows where they are).  Then there is the: "Did anyone hear those gunshots?"  Everyplace I have ever lived, I have heard gunshots.  Nothing I can do about it other than be more vigilant if it seems unusual.  Why would knowing others heard what you heard give you any peace of mind if that's why you posted.  We live near Camp Bullis, an Army training facility that has a lot of gunfire regularly.  You can regularly hear light to heavy machine gun fire.  That Camp has been there from the 1800's.  The complaints about the noise is off the charts at times.  I never really even notice it anymore.  Why in the world would you move out here if that little bit of freedom noise will bother you?  They even threaten to start a petition to get them to stop.  I just SMH.  I imagine that they will be forced to stop as this area gets more densely populated, and it is growing incredibly fast.  

The latest is all the fear that gets posted on that app is this Chinaman flu has generated.  Now that the governor is thinking about making plans to reopen things, everyone is scared it is too soon and bla bla bla.  I pass most of that garbage by as it gets me tight in the jaws at times.  Then there are those that go too far the other way claiming it's all a huge conspiracy.  I get a belly full of that pretty quick too.  Yeah, I know, I should get rid of that app but I do find it useful and entertaining.  

Hope all are well with you and yours.  Be smart, not afraid.  

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Sigh... Gotta love city dwellers that move to the country... Complaining about gunfire from the base is about as stupid as moving near an airport then complaining about jet noise... All is quiet up here.