Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Wow-What a Storm

Monday afternoon we had a very quick but violent storm hit our area.  It dumped 3.3 inches of rain along with some very high winds.  Quite a few branches were knocked out of my trees.  Behind us is a vacant lot and there is one tree that is about 10' from my back fence.  It s Huisache and is full of thorns.  Some of the deer in our neighborhood were hiding out under it during the storm, that is until one of the main beams split off and laid across my fence.  Great.  Add this to my growing out of control grass I haven't been able to mow yet.  

Tuesday I figured I needed to do something about that large tree limb on my fence.  I have no access to that property without climbing my 'no climb' fence.  So I grabbed the electric pole chain saw and reached over the fence and proceeded to cut the limbs and just push them back on that property.  That is until the chain got stuck in the branch I was cutting.  Nothing I did could get it loose.  Grabbed a ladder and climbed over and finally got the chain loose.  Quite a sight watching and old man climb a fence I'm sure.  Yes, I finally got it off my fence but it is stacked up right next to it.  I won't do anymore than that as I hate to trespass and I can't do anything with the branches anyway.

I did get to mow, some Tuesday morning.  Until the mower dies on me for no reason.  It smells like it flooded.  It's a lawn tractor that has never not started on the first crank.  So I'm not real sure what to make of this.  Checked the air filter and it was good to go.  So I am letting it sit until tomorrow and see if it will have cleared enough to start.  I suppose part of the problem is the blade cut off.  It doesn't work.  I have to shut the engine completely off to stop the blade.  I am guessing the extra blade turns when I shut if off caused something to get out of sync with the carb/gas.  It had backfired the last time I did that just a few minutes before.  I am going to have to figure this out so I can get this jungle under control soon.  If it won't start tomorrow, not sure what I will do.  I have no vehicle to haul it to a repair place anymore, not that I could lift it like I used to anyway.  This is not fun when you have crater in your chest.

My Dad got moved to a rehab facility nearer my Mom's home than she had originally planned.  No, I didn't say a thing.  But she doesn't like it, surprise.  Dad called her at 7:30 AM complaining about her not being there already.  He claimed that no one came by at night to check on him.  Not sure how they do things in a rehab facility, but it's not a hospital that checks regularly and on shift changes.  People in hospitals always complain how many times they get awakened by the nurses checking on them.  This is a first to hear a complaint that no one woke him up.  I know he forgets things and gets confused for quite a while after anesthesia.  So who knows if anyone came or not.  Regardless Mom is already looking to move him to another facility because she didn't have a 'good feeling' about this place to begin with.  She will get no comment from us.

Happy Trails


No comments: