Tuesday, December 4, 2018

More Preparations and Pics

We still are working on things for Christmas, although K has mostly finished her decorating of the inside of the house. It looks really good as usual.  She has a talent for that, no doubt.  It took her a little longer this year despite having help from the Grandkids, mostly the Granddaughter.  She love doing this stuff just like her Nani.  She wasn't at all interested in decorating the tree, she can do that at home.  It was the other things around the house she was all about as that isn't as big a deal as it here.  The Grandson, helped me outside with a few lights and then we grilled burgers.  He had never been shown anything about grilling/cooking but he was game to learn.  He wasn't too sure about smashing the burgers down with his bare hands but once he did the first he was all in.  He learned about seasoning and then starting the fire in the pit and how the coals were supposed to look when they were ready.  He actually seemed interested which surprised me.  

Here a few pics of the inside.  It is dark to show off how the lights look.




Today I will continue the leather accent pieces for the Granddaughter's gift.  I have the two corner pieces cut and tooled and awaiting color.  The big centerpiece will be today's job.  Carving it and tooling it should be fun, it is really different than anything I have done before.  Pics after Christmas.

We are working on the menu for our Christmas eve get together.  I am pretty sure we are deviating from K's great Chicken Fried Steak to Chicken fajitas.  One reason is that it will be easier and quicker than all the things it takes to make Chicken Fried Steak.  Plus we have a ton of chicken on hand already so there's that.  You might think I will be grilling the chicken fajitas, but you would be wrong. (Oh, btw, something that bugs me, just where is a fajita on a chicken? There is no such thing.)  Why no grilling?  K developed this new way of using the skillet.  The chicken is cut up in small chunks, seasoned and pan seared with a little olive oil.  But here is the secret:  BACON! yes, bacon.  Of course onion and bell pepper are added and it is all cooked together.  The kids have had our fajitas many times before, but not like this.  We will have a pot of my beans, a ton of guacamole (necessary) and if someone can come up with a decent Mexican Rice we will have that.  I make it occasionally but it just ain't what it should be.  I don't think either of the Daughter-in-laws have made it as they haven't spoken up after my inquiry....chickens.  This will get a bit more refined as we get closer to the day.

I have been trying to get a little Christmas shopping done, online of course.  I have a special gift to my sons this year and a DNA test kit for my mother.  She has been reluctant to get that done so I am getting it for her.  She says she knows what her DNA is.  Not even as mine was a pretty big surprise to her.  K has been the hardest to shop for as usual.  She is no help.  We went to Costco and she bought a lightweight jacket said that was her gift.  SMH.  I did find a couple cheap things online I think she will think are fun.  Hopefully since I spent very little.  We just don't go all out for gifts for each other anymore.  We already have too much stuff.  Plus we try to focus on the Kids and Grandkids as it should be.

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Looking good! And easy is the way to go for food, IMHO...

Randy said...

Old NOF-Thank you, yes easy it good, but sometimes.....