Thursday, October 5, 2017

Didn't Waste Time

I got that skin cancer removed bright and early Thursday morning.  They didn't waste any time getting me in and out.  Less than 20 minutes.  On the way back home I got the wife and I some breakfast tacos since it was still early.  I was home before 8 AM.  The doctor wanted me to come back in two weeks to remove the stitches.  I said I would do it myself and he was good with that.  They have enough of my money as it is, I didn't want to go back for another very short visit and have to pay for something I know I can do myself.  

I'm not going to comment about the latest shooting in Vegas, but it seems we have already forgotten about the 'evil christians' that were shot up in a church by an immigrant.  It doesn't fit the left wing scenario apparently.  No calls for gun control when that happened, at least none that I heard.  

I watched the Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam recently.  It was way too long.  It brought back a lot of memories.  I was just a young boy and a teen during most of that.  In 1971, when I graduated from high school I was headed down the see the Marine recruiter.  A buddy that had gotten in trouble with the law had joined up and convinced me to go in on the 'buddy' system they had at that time.  The recruiter had promised my buddy he would make his law trouble disappear if he joined up, so he did.  He lied.  The recruiter was upset with me for not signing right away, since I wanted to tell my folks before I did.  But I went home with the papers and told them what I was about to do.  It was the only time I heard my Dad have a real concern for me.  He never ever gave any advice or fatherly guidance other than to yell when he was pissed off at me, which was pretty often.  So his demeanor caught my attention more than usual.  In short he convinced me not to join.  He did not want me going to Vietnam.  I had told him the recruiter had told us they no longer sent new recruits to Vietnam.  He had always been in favor of me joining the military since that was what he did at about my age.  So his negative reaction to my plans had a big impact on me.  I went with what my Dad's wishes were and declined to return my papers.  That is my only real regret in life, not serving my country.  I always knew I would when I was younger.  However, had I joined, I would never have met my wife, the love of my life.  So things worked out for the best anyway.

As for the documentary, it was pretty one sided toward the left viewpoint, which is pretty typical of a Ken Burns film.  While I learned a few things and remembered several I had forgotten, I was disappointed in how much time he spent airing the viewpoint of deserters and those that fled to Canada and their opinion on the war.  There was also quite a bit of time spent with the communists that fought against us.  As you can imagine there was not an equal amount of time given to those that served honorably.  There were some things I will have to look into they claim Nixon did while running for election as President the first time.  If what they say is true.....but it is the left making those claims. 

Son #2  and his new bride will arrive in town sometime today.  They had stayed over in LAs Cruces New Mexico last night.  I assume they will be here late today.  So we are continuing preparations for the reception here.  There is still much to do.

Happy Trails

No comments: