Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Wednesday

I finished the cover for the wife's Kindle Fire.  I tried doing a filigree style this time.  Something I haven't tried before.  She likes flashy things so I thought this might work for her.  




If you look closely at the first two photos you can just make out a hint of red.  That is the filigree, where I cut completely through the leather and place a colorful material behind to shine through. Unfortunately the photo just doesn't catch it very well.  I like contrast so the turquoise thread was my choice for her.  She seems to like it, maybe she is just being nice.  I may try this again.  I like the look for certain things.

I am a Yelp reviewer.  I review  just about anything, from food to services etc.  I got some feedback from one of the places I recently reviewed.  They offered me a better experience to my full satisfaction.  I had dinged them twice.  This is a taco place.  I am very particular when it comes to tacos.  I think I know my stuff and what a taco should be due to the many years of eating them down here in this part of the State of Texas.  The biggest complaint I had was the price.  From near 4$ apiece to over 5$.  For a taco?!?!?!  Are you kidding me?  Two tacos and a drink and I am over 10$.  I don't think so.  Granted they are on the edge of the hoity toity part of Libtardville.  I guess I can't blame them for taking advantage of their situation.  I told them, thanks but I doubted they would lower their prices and increase the size of their tacos for me since that was my biggest complaint. 
Yes, they were rather small too, not even average size.  

I am pretty particular about my Tex-Mex food.  Libtardville has that going for it.  It is the home of Tex-Mex.  I don't care where you go, the so called Tex-Mex elsewhere just isn't the same.  Even in Libtardville we will get these chain's that think they know what they are doing with Tex-Mex.  Some get very popular, but if you look at the clientele they attract, you know right away it isn't authentic.  
Yeah, I always ding them pretty hard on Yelp.  Imposters.  

So what is true Tex-Mex to me?  The easiest way for me to tell is by their enchiladas.  The tortillas that are used MUST be the red tortillas.  If they are anything else, pass them by.  Yes, there is a significant difference.  The yellow corn or white corn tortillas will get so soggy it is like eating slop. The red will hold their texture and and actually give you something to chew instead of soup.  Also, this is a Libtardville invention.  If you see it anywhere else, they stole it or ar from here.  Puffy Tacos. They are exactly what they sound like.  The tortilla or shell has been fried to a puffy texture.  
You might have a choice of chicken or beef filling.  Sometimes you can get one of each.  If you are trying them the first time I would suggest getting one of each.  They will most likely fall apart in your hand before you are through, so resort to the fork. 

There will always be a side of rice and beans.  These can vary widely in quality.  Most places it is just an afterthought.  Anyway, for my tastes and experience it is the little 'hole-in-the wall' place that gets it right most of the time.  They probably use Abuelas recipes that have been handed down over years. 
Check the parking lots of those places, they will generally be packed and the clientele is what you would expect to see in an authentic place.  They sometimes look a little seedy, but that's OK if they are clean, and keeps the Yankees away.  Yeah, my definition of Yankee is probably different too.  It's pretty much anyone that is not a native.  Born and raised.  Yes, if you couldn't tell I can be very opinionated.

Happy Trails

4 comments:

Kimisoo said...

LOVE MY NEW FIRE COVER!!!! It is gorgeous and I am so proud of the great job you did on it.

Old NFO said...

That is some VERY nice work on that cover!

Randy said...

Old NFO-thank you very much

Harry Flashman said...

You do nice work. We have a fellow here in our county who fixes shoes, and he does that kind of craftsmanship with leather as a side business.