Monday, August 21, 2023

Trees Again

I had been concerned about the trees at my house for awhile.  We have between 40-50 Live Oak trees.  They range in sizes and all were here when we moved in 30+ years ago.  About 5 years ago I hired a guy to trim them up.  Layed out some serious cash to get it done.  We were pretty happy for the most part, but he did short the job.  He needed to be somewhere else and rushed to finish.  So I have been shopping around for folks that would trim them again.  After the 3 hard freezes, especially last year, they were in some serious need.  I was mostly concerned about cutting back the large trees that were growing over my house.  These are really big trees with some very large limbs.  They were bent down and laying on the roof with heavy ice cover this past winter.  I wanted to get that stuff cleared away.  They came out this past week and oh my, what a great job they did.  They certainly didn't short me.  And last week was the hottest temps we have had so far, 105+.  It was a crew of 4.  Two cutters and two dragging and cleaning up and throwing everything in the chipper.  The two were apparently husband and wife.  Yes, wife.  She did most all of the climbing going up and down with a rope harness.  To say the least I was very impressed.  They cleared enough limbs that it should last much longer than the last time.  They found an old hollow limb that was huge and was eaten up with ants.  It humg driectly over the house and would have caused some seriouos damage.  It may have been 24" in diameter at the trunk.  Seeing the cut logs I am very surprised that it didn't fall during the ice storm last winter. 

The teenage Grands were here for two nights and it went very well thankfully.  'K' has gone to take my Mother to the doctor.  She will take notes for her since she never remembers his intructions etc and always argues with whoever goes with her about what was said.  Hopefully her notes will help.  Next option is to video the appointment if this doesn't work.  The doctor will allow that.  Hopefully it goes well and she can remember some of it.  But that seems unlikely as her memory seems to be fading even more.

Well, it's lunch time and I am going to eat some left over Carne Guisada I made.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Wow! You got lucky on that tree limb! And glad the grands went well! Good luck with your mother's appointment. My daughter takes her grandfather to the doctor and sits in (she is a paramedic).