Thursday, April 13, 2017

Blahs

I have a bad case of the blahs as far as blog posts are concerned.  Sorry for that.

The young lad I helped with his history homework, I mentioned in my last post, got a score of 100.
His teacher was impressed with his initiative.  I assume the score was just for the question he posed to me.  His initiative apparently was because he went so far as to mention he contacted a Texas history expert and reenactor.  Yes, that is what he told her.  No, I don't do any reenacting anymore, it was more living history than reenacting.

We plan on heading down to the Alamo Thursday.  They have an exhibit featuring James Bowie that is new.  Probably includes some new artifacts they obtained from Phil Collins the musician.  He is a huge Alamo fan and had a large collection of items he donated to the Alamo the last few years.  It has be a few years since I have been there.  

There has been a lot of work going on toward making some huge changes on how the Alamo is presented.  If you have ever been there it is in the middle of downtown San Antonio with all the buildings sitting right next to it.  Most of the compound has been lost over the years to development. 
I have heard a lot of comments about how shocked people are when they see how small it is and are somewhat disappointed in how they find it.  I can understand this viewpoint.

There is a effort underway to 'reimagine' the Alamo.  To change how things look down there.  A lot of hope was placed in this effort by those like me that believe the original footprint of the Alamo (at the time of the 1836 battle) should be restored.  Various reports coming out about how it was to be interpreted were discouraging, leaning toward the PC approach.  Then there were other teasers show casing videos of other battle sight locations throughout the world that showcase how it could be done.
These gave me hope.  But I had huge doubts as non-natives were involved in this process.  They may know their stuff but they don't know Texas and least of all how people like me revere the Alamo.

Well the big reveal on what the proposes 'reimagining' is to be.  Worst. Idea. Ever.  It is a travesty to say the least.  The original footprint?  Well that will be handled by using glass walls in place of what was there originally.  There will be seating areas in the courtyard with tables and chairs for folks to eat or just relax, right on top of where heroes sacrificed their lives.  This doesn't even include the rooftop restaurant.  You can google the big reveal if you are inclined to check it out.  They have already heard from me, and what I have seen on social media, not many folks are happy with this either.

This may be my last chance to see the Alamo as it is now.  Once this monstrosity is in place, I won't go ever again.  Shame on us and shame on them.

My heart weeps

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

That is sad to hear... Damn political correctness IS going to destroy the real history!