Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Tuesday

Yes, I'm a day behind, but most of my posts here are.  I went into town for my diabetes check up with the doctor.  My numbers weren't as good as I hoped for or expected, but not anything unmanageable.  
Also got them to change some meds that are no longer covered under this new pharmacy prescription.
The doctor actually prefers the alternatives, says they are more stable.  So I a am hoping that this will bring my numbers back in line.  I have at least one months supply of the old stuff I will use up first.

When I got home I started up the BBQ pit/smoker.  I am cooking a couple briskets.  One for a lady that likes the way I do it.  She bought one but had no idea how to cook it so asked me how.  She has nothing but a little Weber grill, that won't even come close to dong what she wants.  She also asked about doing it in the oven.  No NO NO!  So I offered to cook it for her.  I had one in the freezer so they are both on there.  

Not sure about the condition of the pit though.  I have had it for 15-20 years and it was a cheap one. 
It has got holes here and there in the firebox and it won't be long before I can't use it anymore.  In fact I will be surprised if I don't find my fire laying on the ground before I'm done with these it's that bad. 
I certainly need a new one if I plan on doing anymore BBQ.  I have an idea what I want but haven't seen it exactly at any of the places I see them for sale.  No, won't go the custom route, that is just too expensive.  Not in a hurry anyway due to the cost.  Probably around 500$.  That is not a top of the line one either.  Pretty sure I can wait on that.  But this it TEXAS, we take our BBQ serious here. 
Not sure how long I can wait.  No, I don't cook with sauce on it, just a spice rub.  I let the smoke do it's magic.  You won't even need sauce with my brisket it's that moist.  I will provide sauce on the side for those that know no better.  Yankees usually.  They don't even realize what an insult that is to the chef.  

There are just certain things that have to be done a certain way and BBQ is one of them.  Chili is another but that is a different story.  Yes, I'm big on tradition if you haven't figured that out.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Good luck on the smoker... I spray mine with apple juice every hour or so while I'm smoking it. And I'm the same, rub only!